ILE is hiring!
Informal Learning Experiences (ILE) is seeking a part time(60%) Associate.
ILE is a small consulting firm that works with museums, zoos, aquariums, public agencies, funding agencies and national education and professional associations and societies. We consult on the planning, development, and expansion of institutions; on the development of educational and recreational activities; and on strategies and funding for the implementation of programs and exhibitions. We produce two resources for the field—a searchable online database of traveling exhibitions and a bimonthly 24-page journal, The Informal Learning Review. We have a substantial national and growing international clientele.
The Associate works closely with the primary consultant on virtually every aspect of our various services to the informal learning community. Thus, while there is an employer-employee relationship, the firm functions on a collegial basis and requires considerable autonomy and independent initiative from the Associate.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Informal Learning Review (ILR)
- Process subscription requests and renewals daily (QuickBooks Pro)
- Prepare and mail bulk mailings of ILR
- Prepare and mail bimonthly renewal invoices (QuickBooks Pro)
- Copyedit and prepare images for ILR
- Communicate with graphic designer
- Opportunity to publish appropriate articles in ILR
Traveling Exhibitions Database (TED)
- Process subscription requests, invoices, and renewals daily (QuickBooks Pro)
- Monitor and update exhibition listings and subscribers on the web site
- Possibly attend national conferences twice yearly to network with exhibition producers and venues and to coordinate Traveling Exhibitions Forum
- Maintain subscriber contact and subscription information (QuickBooks Pro, MS Exel)
- Conduct online marketing for ILR and TED
- Ensure immediate and complete client satisfaction
- Answer office phone and respond to email messages
- Maintain/reorder office supplies
- Monitor and edit new Web site
- Maintain internal LAN, track software and hardware needs and opportunities
- Maintain professional manner when communicating with clients
- Minor tech support and computer as necessary (Windows XP, 3 desktops, 1 laptop, printers, etc.)
- Work with IT consultants for larger computer issues
- Conduct project-related research
- Meet with clients at their sites or communicate by phone/email
- Arrange client meetings and prepare related presentation materials
- Assist with proposal and report preparation, including editing, formatting and production
Qualifications and Requirements
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently & without direct supervision
- Excellent writing and speaking skills
- Well-developed computer and IT skills, including troubleshooting for web site, communication, and database management programs
- Dedication to the museum profession, informal learning organizations and agencies, and not-for-profit organizations
- Excellent telephone personality
- Sense of humor
ILE is based in a home office in the residential neighborhood of Park Hill, Denver. It includes a separate entrance, full kitchen access, and free unrestricted on-street parking. The Associate must have his/her own transportation and be able to run occasional work-related errands during the day.
The working pattern is a 24-hour week, between 9 and 5, M through F, with major holidays closed. Associate works in the ILE office 100% of the time, except during business-related travel. Travel expenses are reimbursed. ILE offers a competitive hourly salary without benefits.
An introductory letter; academic resume; summary of relevant experience; and names, affiliations, and contact information for three personal and/or professional references should be sent to Dr. Robert M. West, President, Informal Learning Experiences at email@example.com.
The position is available immediately and is open until filled.__________________________________________________________
We are excited to introduce the new Informal Learning Experiences website! We have made some major improvements to our website and our Traveling Exhibitions Database.
Who we are.
Robert "Mac" West, PrincipalMac West has been involved with informal education in a variety of museums and other attractions for more than thirty years. In addition to his extensive teaching experience in the Biology Department of Adelphi University (NY), and the Department of Geo... Read full bio »
Jennie Crate, Consultant AssociateJennie graduated from George Washington University in 2011 with her M.A. in Museum Studies and a focus on Exhibition Development and Design. She completed internships in Exhibit Graphic Design at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum... Read full bio »
Emilie Khlap, BookkeeperEmilie Khlap joined ILE in September 2012. She has 7+ years experience in bookkeeping, payroll, and human resources. Emilie has worked in these fields for many different industries, both large and small businesses. Some examples are the International... Read full bio » Read full bio »
We work with established and emerging organizations of many sorts to help them ensure stability and sustainability, community relevance, and clear and contemporary messaging.
Traveling Exhibitions Database
ILE's Traveling Exhibitions Database (TED) is a comprehensive, growing database of traveling exhibitions currently available or in development.
Informal Learning Review
The Informal Learning Review (ILR) is ILE's instrument for bringing research and understanding of the informal learning industry to the field in a broad fashion.
Traveling Exhibitions Forum
Each year, ILE hosts the Traveling Exhibitions Forum breakfast at the American Alliance of Museums and at the Association of Science Technology Centers.
Last-minute availability listings from the Traveling Exhibitions Database. Available to the public.